Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ceske Krumlov!

As I said in the last blog post, I ventured back to eastern Europe on my own this time...and looking back I am extremely glad I did this. It was by far the most difficult leg of my journey to this point. But going to this small town (low-touristy, which is why I went) was absolutely worth it. Easily one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been to. I will decorate this post and the last with pictures when I get the chance.

I climbed a mountain on the last day, which was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had so far on this trip. 18 kilometers I walked in one day (in about 4 hours total)... very very draining and tiring. Ceske Krumlov was definitely a challenge, both mentally (very lonely there, being alone and in a non-english speaking country/town) and physically (the mountain).

Internet is about to expire. Will post more when i get a chance. Going to spain tomorrow - 30 hours by train! wish me luck

------SEE PICTURES BELOW------ Edited July, 11

http://www.prague-guide.com/programmes/images/krumlov002.jpg

The old castle in Ceske Krumlov (left) and a re-painted clock tower to the right.

http://www.bikeholidays.eu/bike-images/unesco7v.jpg

Imagine seeing that in person. One of the most beautiful places I have to in my life.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2b/Mount_Klet.jpg/250px-Mount_Klet.jpg

It is quite small of a picture, but this is the mountain that I climbed - Mt. Klet in Ceske Krumlov. Hiking 16 kilometers in one afternoon, then walking another 2... a very draining day. I got the following information from the Klet Mountain website:

Kleť Mountain at 1084 m above sea level is the highest mountain of Blanský Forest in the northwest part of the District. A document from 1624 states that there is "an abundance of deer, bears, boars, lynxes, wolves, wild cats, foxes, rabbits, grouse and song birds".

Legends :
Once upon a time, there was an impregnable castle on the highest mountain of the Blanský les, and in it there lived, and ruled peacefully, the Duke Hrozen. He had only one daughter, the beautiful Krasava. Many boys wished to marry her, especially a handsome boy with a dark face and sparkling eyes, who was said to be the Devil. When he found out he was identified, and Krasava did not want to marry him, he swore revenge. One day, when everyone from the castle was away on a hunt, he created a terrible storm above Kleť, which broke the strong walls of the castle and scattered stones all around. The stones today laying at the top of the mountain are said to be remains of the castle destroyed by the Devil himself.

Haha that is all for now. Hope you are enjoying the blog thus far!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan,

    And they do sell Nutella here too. Such an experience for you in all these places- and I see in your writing how you are growing and expanding yourself in so many ways.Yes, stepping outside the box is incredibly scary sometimes but as you journey through life you will look back and see that this is what life is all about. I am so proud that you get this. Can't wait for the next blog entry.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete