Friday, April 10, 2009

A new door opens as Holyoke wraps up?

I don't want to get my hopes up, but there is a chance that I will be teaching another class (somewhere in Springfield) largely due to the success of my first class. Stayed tuned.

Yesterday at YouthBuild (my last day) things went extremely well. It was probably the best class I've taught thus far. I knew the material well, explained it in terms that they could understand, had them participating and joking around (learning but having fun)... we went over all the material that was covered in the previous 7 classes and this proved to them how much information they've actually learned with me. I also showed them some videos about different sustainable developments overseas (see my first post in March, the Masdar City video clip). They all seemed very interested in these new green technologies and we had some really great discussions as a result.

Class started about 10 minutes late but something told me not to hurry them into starting right at 1:00pm. I waited and did other things as I knew something was up... and right around 1:10 they all came into the room and handed me a card that they had all signed. It was a really nice gesture and I consider this card something that will lift my spirits if I am ever feeling down. One person told me that I was the only teacher he could ever relate to and that he's never gotten along with any of his other instructors. A girl from the class wrote that I inspired her to become a mechanical engineer. Imagine that! Yesterday was one of those days that will stick with me for a long time to come.

We took a few pictures of the group and here is the best one that I want to share with you;


Great group of people and I feel blessed to have gotten a chance to come into their lives and try to make a difference - even in a small way.

Off to Ithaca, NY for the weekend through a program organized by a landscape architecture student. We're staying at an eco-village (sustainable community). Will post pictures upon return late Sunday night! Happy early Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment