Friday, April 17, 2009

Balloons

Today I worked the Open House at UMass Admissions - in April it is our job to put on a show for potential students (who have already been accepted) and try to get them to accept their invitation to UMass Amherst. There are student speakers, tours, food, lots of information sessions, and balloons!

Today I took all the balloons and attached them to the back of my bike. I was already the only person on campus riding around on a bike wearing a suit. Having 75 balloons trailing behind me added an even greater comic value. I get a kick of out doing odd things like this; everyone today who saw me, whether they knew me or not, smiled and laughed. I was by far the most popular person on campus during that 30 minute stretch. And I loved every second of it.

Tomorrow we will be having a cookout outside as the spring weather is finally upon us! My bike will make a lot more people smile, so long as the balloons don't deflate overnight.

Here are some pictures and a video my roommate and I just took.


My bike + 70 (at one time, some popped) balloons.


Trying to be like E.T.


About 50 more balloons and I would have been airborne. I rode back 3 miles from UMass campus to my house and probably made more friends in this 15 minutes than in my 5 years at college. It was somewhat difficult at times when the balloons blew in my face and even when they were behind me the wind resistance made it difficult to pedal.

Close up!




Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Ryan! Phone Home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, That's a classic! You need to add a little Jimmy Hendrix's to your Purple Haze Video!

    ReplyDelete