Sunday, October 4, 2009

Perma best day ever...

Accomplishment is a great feeling. I had the goal of completing three more beds this weekend... which may seem like a manageable task but it's much more work than it sounds. Each bed takes about 15-20 wheel barrels full of compost and 15-20 pounds of mulch.

However, it's the cardboard that takes the most time: collecting it from dumpsters, peeling off all the tape / staples, and then laying it over the compost so that there are no holes showing (overlapping by 6 inches). It takes A LOT of cardboard to do one bed, and it has to be wet before the mulch is put on top. Since it was raining all of yesterday, I put out all of the cardboard so that the rain would do some of the work for me.

Here's some pictures from the day:


After all the cardboard had been laid...



...And then after the mulch was spread


Of the whole yard:


6 hours spent being productive...


My friend Kenzie, who I met in the permaculture course this summer stopped by and helped me finish.



Thank you, Kenzie!


...And pushups in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment