Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Amherst Man turns Car into Permaculture Garden

Today, I opened my backseat and surprisingly saw something green. It looked like sprouts, but I had just vacuumed my car. Something must gotten attached to my bag earlier in the day, I thought. Upon closer examination, I noticed it had roots.

Background:

All summer I had been hauling 5 gallon buckets of wood chips, cardboard, and compost in my car, as I was in the midst of 4 separate permaculture garden projects. Needless to say, some of the compost and wood chips spilled on my floor, in my seats, etc.

About 4 weeks ago, I transported some buckwheat seeds in my car, to my garden at 3 Willow Lane in Amherst, Massachusetts. Can you guess where this is going?

Now:

Apparently some of the compost had found its way down in my backseat seat-belt-buckle. Apparently some of the buckwheat seed had also found its way down there. Some moisture, perhaps from the hot days and cool nights we've been experiencing lately, added to form the perfect storm.

I now have buckwheat growing out of my backseat seat belt buckle!




Thank you for reading,
Ryan

4 comments:

  1. HAHA! this reminds me of a dr. seuss book i read when i was very little. i wish i could remember the title

    Good work with little effort my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! This is awesome.

    Saeed, is it Daisy-Head Mayzie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother Nature loves you Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe. it was the story about the population that pretty much completely developed their planet in asphalt, and then they left the planet..and then YEARS later, a plant cracked through the cement :)

    ReplyDelete