Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 5 - Aquaponics, Compost and New Intern

I thought I'd get to sleep without blogging but I finally got internet to work right as I'm heading to sleep… I'll be quick with this entry. Today we all but finished building the aquaponics system, which has been a pretty awesome experience. Here are some pictures of it:



Today also involved some sifting of worm castings, taking care of the farm animals and covering the beds in the hoop houses.







After work we made dinner (not as elaborate as previous days) and then went to the organic market to get some things. Katie, a previous intern and now office assistant drove Jeremy and I to the store and also to the airport to pick up our new roommate, Trisha. We got some beer and cheese and had our other roommate Jon, make a loaf of bread for the occasion. Trish seems awesome – coming from Portland, Oregon and having a lot of similarities.


Here's a few more pictures of the compost at Growing Power's headquarters. I'll note my first problem tonight with this organization which is the amount they charge for compost. Maybe it's not so bad of a price for what people pay around here…but what they charge per yard is $75 compared to $30 in Amherst! I was stunned when I heard that figure. An organization that is trying to bring change to the community, combat classism and racism should definitely charge a whole lot less for their soil.


Ending things on a better note, we are gearing up for this weekend's conference which is expected to bring together a group of nearly 100 folks from around the country. I'll hopefully be sitting-in / helping with the hoop-house building workshop, as I'll be building some with Nuestras Raices in March.



Night y'all.

Ryan

4 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying reading your daily blogs. This is all so interesting. So you will take what you are learning and bring it back home to teach others. Keep the entries coming cuz I love em'.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that firewood costs $350-500/cord delivered in the city vs. $200ish out in the Valley. I would expect compost to be along the same lines. Hopefully they are teaching a lot of people how to make their OWN COMPOST!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aquaponics refers to a food production system that couples aquaculture with hydroponics whereby the nutrient rich aquaculture water is fed to hydroponic grown plant, involving nitrifying bacteria for converting ammonia into nitrates. Want to knowhow to build an aquaponics system step by step?

    ReplyDelete